These are the very last old-fashioned Dutch "bakfietsen" made, and they're still fabricated right here in the Netherlands. Aside from the huge, sealed bearings, stainless hardware and modern finishes they've hardly changed for 100 years. The mahogany box is a real eye catcher and is ideal for commercial use. A classic bakfiets is big, heavy, indestructible and far handier than one would expect.
Though they have their roots in another century, the Bakfiets is still great either for promotion or really heavy work. They're surprisingly safe and easy to handle and (assuming it's flat) quite easy to pedal. You ride at a jogging pace with a 1:1 gear ratio, the big wheels and truck-type leaf springs help your load float over any road surface. These trikes were, after all, designed before the roads were paved. The practical maximum cargo weight for actual cycling is around 250kg. Please note that these trikes are rather large and heavy, thus only suitable for relatively flat terrain.
It’s not possible to mount a simple city bike electric assist motor on a heavy duty transport trike that weighs around 125+ kg. We have designed a special system specifically for the classic trikes, Combining a robust motor, a 48v battery and industrial grade disc brakes. The motor model is a Bafang BBS02 750w with a cotter less crankshaft and industrial grade hydraulic disc brakes on the front wheels. The drivetrain is 30-26, covered by a steel chain cover. The battery is mounted on a bar between the bumper and seat stay or on the rear carrier. The battery has a switch and plug on the right side. The switch functions as a fuse to protect against a power overload and also as a protection for the motor. The maximum speed with electric assist is set to 16 kmp/h.
Battery range depends highly or terrain, state of the trike (well maintained, air in tires, etc) weather (extreme heat or extreme cold) and the weight of the cargo load in the box. If you have concerns about whether our electric assist trike is suitable for your needs please contact us. A second mounted battery set or a spare battery are both possible.
Coffee / Vending / Catering (partial DIY) Trike with Electric Assist
Please note WorkCycles itself does not build complete ready-to-use electric assist coffee or catering trikes. It is possible to order an electric assist classic trike with or without modifcations to the box and finish the coffee trike yourself. If you are looking to purchase a complete working coffee trike we recommend ordering through Coffee Latino http://www.coffeelatino.co.uk/ as they use our trike as the base for a complete coffee vending set-up. Bear in mind Coffee Latino coffee trikes do not come with electric assist nor can they be converted to electric assist.
Classic Cargo Trike with Electric Assist Specifications
- super-strong transport wheels with gauge 8 spokes
- 26 x 2.5 inch transport tires
- fenders, front and rear
- single-speed gearing with a 30-26 drivetrain
- large, hand operated rear drum brake / parking brake
- sealed bearings
- motorcycle strength chain and steel chain cover
- large varnished mahogany box mounted on truck-type leaf springs
- water resistant shuttering plywood base inside box
- steel and mahogany handlebar
- steering stabilizer, keeps box from swaying when parked
- vintage style saddle
- 750W Bafang BBS02 motor
- 48V battery
- industrial grade hydraulic disc brakes
- 5 levels of assist
Classic Cargo Trike Dimensions
- front to back of the medium trike with box 245 cm
- front to back of the large trike with box 275 cm
- front to back of the x-large trike with box 310 cm
- total width medium and large 108cm
- height from ground: 87cm to top of work surface
- total width x-large 120cm
Mahogany Box Dimensions
These are the general dimensions of the box size. The measurements do not include the ‘wings’ that are attached to either side of the box and the backplate where the handlebar is mounted.
- Size M: 120 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size L: 150 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size XL: 185 cm long x 85 cm wide x 20 cm high
The Classic Cargo Trike with Electric Assist can only be delivered fully assembled. This is due to cables and brake hoses that run along the underside of the box. Therefore we only deliver it to specific countries within Europe. We also need to know that you have a bike shop near by who can help you with service and maintenance if need be.
Some important things to note
- The electric assist trike cannot be shipped outside Europe
- The electric assist trike is not a stock item, they are built to order
- The electric assist trike is built by hand, so production time depends highly on our busy we are, please enquire for an estimate on the current production time
- The electric assistance simply takes the hard work out of pedaling, it won’t enable you to ride the trike up a mountain.
- It’s not possible to order an electric assist chassis (electric trike without the box)
- It’s not possible to convert a regular WorkCycles Cargo Trike to electric assist as the electric assist chassis is different