WorkCycles builds beautiful, old-fashioned Dutch “bakfiets” cargo and industrial trikes. For the do-it-yourselfers out there we also offer our cargo trike chassis without the box. These are perfect for people looking to build their own coffee trike, food trike, portable market stand, mobile DJ booth, theatre stage, or whatever you heart desires.
The Chassis comes in three different sizes; M, L and XL. They are the exact same sizes used for the cargo and industrial trikes. The chassis size is directly related to the box size. So when it comes to building your own box we can supply you with simple drawings of the M, L and XL sizes - showing the dimensions of both box and chassis. Use these drawings as your guide for your own box creation and you can’t go wrong. If you build a box that is too big for the chassis then it can prove to be problematic for the steering and weight balance.
Though they have their roots in another century, the Bakfiets is still great either for promotion or really heavy work. They're surprisingly safe and easy to handle and (assuming it's flat) quite easy to pedal. You ride at a jogging pace with a 1:1 gear ratio, the big wheels and truck-type leaf springs help your load float over any road surface. These trikes were, after all, designed before the roads were paved. The practical maximum cargo weight for actual cycling is around 250kg.
A WorkCycles M, L and XL Trike Chassis is normally painted black and comes complete with the leaf springs (to mount your box on), fenders, steering stabilizer and handlebar.
If we are delivering internationally the Trike Chassis will come partially disassembled, packed and boxed on a pallet. This makes shipping the Chassis easier and keeps the shipping price realistic. Reassembly is quite straightforward, we can help with your questions if necessary.
- The front axle is not mounted to the main body frame
- The front wheels are not mounted to the front axle
- The tires are mounted on front wheels
- The rear wheel and drivetrain is all mounted in the rear end of the main body frame
Some important things to note
- The Chassis can be shipped worldwide
- We do not offer an electric assist version of the bare Chassis
- The Chassis cannot be converted to electric assist
- The Chassis is not a stock item, they are built to order
- The Chassis is built by hand, so production time depends highly on our busy we are, please enquire for an estimate on the current production time
- Box options like stabilizer legs, canopy etc can only be ordered with a Classic Trike box, not with a bare Chassis order