These are the very last old-fashioned Dutch "bakfietsen" made, and they're still fabricated right here in the Netherlands. Aside from the huge, sealed bearings, stainless hardware and modern finishes they've hardly changed for 100 years. The mahogany box is a real eye catcher and is ideal for commercial use. A classic bakfiets is big, heavy, indestructible and far handier than one would expect.
Though they have their roots in another century, the Bakfiets is still great either for promotion or really heavy work. They're surprisingly safe and easy to handle and (assuming it's flat) quite easy to pedal. You ride at a jogging pace with a 1:1 gear ratio, the big wheels and truck-type leaf springs help your load float over any road surface. These trikes were, after all, designed before the roads were paved. The fixed gear drivetrain allows the trike to be ridden backwards, which can be handy for tight corners or parking. The practical maximum cargo weight for actual cycling is around 250kg. Please note that these trikes are rather large and heavy, thus only suitable for relatively flat terrain.
We offer many options for customizing the trikes to suit your needs. For those customers looking to build their own box please look at ordering the chassis only item. If you are unsure of what to order just contact us about your needs.
Coffee / Vending / Catering (partial DIY) Trike
For customers looking to build their own coffee or catering trike, there are a few options. You can order just the chassis and build your own box. You can order the trike with the box and modify the box yourself. Or you can order the trike with the box and have us make some modifications for you - such as; a well in the front end of the box to house a gas bottle, a pull out drawer that can function as a cash box, doors and hatches in the side panels to allow for easy access. The standard height of the work surface (from the ground) is an ideal working / vending / serving height. If you do build your own box don’t make it too high, otherwise it won’t be practical for vending.
Complete Coffee / Vending / Catering Trike
Please note WorkCycles itself does not build complete ready-to-use coffee or catering trikes. We do offer classic trike boxes with some modifications for people looking to build their own vending trikes. If you are looking to purchase a complete working coffee trike we recommend ordering through Coffee Latino http://www.coffeelatino.co.uk/ as they use our trike as the base for a complete coffee vending set-up.
Classic Cargo Trike Specifications
- super-strong transport wheels with gauge 8 spokes
- 26 x 2.5 inch transport tires
- fenders, front and rear
- single-speed fixed gearing with a 30-26 drivetrain
- large, hand operated rear drum brake / parking brake
- sealed bearings
- motorcycle strength chain and steel chain cover
- large varnished mahogany box mounted on truck-type leaf springs
- water resistant shuttering plywood base inside box
- steel and mahogany handlebar
- steering stabilizer, keeps box from swaying when parked
- vintage style saddle
Classic Cargo Trike Dimensions
- front to back of the medium trike with box 245 cm
- front to back of the large trike with box 275 cm
- front to back of the x-large trike with box 310 cm
- total width medium and large 108cm
- height from ground: 87cm to top of work surface
- total width x-large 120cm
Mahogany Box Dimensions
These are the general dimensions of the box size. The measurements do not include the ‘wings’ that are attached to either side of the box and the backplate where the handlebar is mounted.
- Size M: 120 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size L: 150 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size XL: 185 cm long x 85 cm wide x 20 cm high
If we are delivering internationally the Cargo Trike will come partially disassembled, packed and boxed on a pallet. This makes shipping the trike easier and keeps the shipping price realistic. Reassembly is quite straightforward, we can help with your questions if necessary. We also have an online photo gallery which shows you where the parts go.
- The front axle is not mounted to the main body frame
- The front wheels are not mounted to the front axle
- The tires are mounted on front wheels
- The rear wheel and drivetrain is all mounted in the rear end of the main body frame
- The box a complete object and does not come apart
- The handlebar is not mounted to the box
- The leaf springs are not mounted to the box or chassis
Some important things to note
- The Cargo Trike can be shipped worldwide
- The Cargo Trike cannot be converted to electric assist, however we do offer an electric assist version of the trike to specific countries within Europe
- The Cargo Trike is not a stock item, they are built to order
- The Cargo Trike is built by hand, so production time depends highly on our busy we are, please enquire for an estimate on the current production time