These are the very last old-fashioned Dutch "bakfietsen" made, and they're still fabricated right here in the Netherlands. Aside from the huge, sealed bearings, stainless hardware and modern finishes they've hardly changed for 100 years. The modern industrial box with stainless steel edge is super strong and makes the bakfiets more suited to ‘rougher’ working environments. A bakfiets is big, heavy, indestructible and far handier than one would expect.
Though they have their roots in another century, the Bakfiets is still great for really heavy work. They're surprisingly safe and easy to handle and (assuming it's flat) quite easy to pedal. You ride at a jogging pace with a 1:1 gear ratio, the big wheels and truck-type leaf springs help your load float over any road surface. These trikes were, after all, designed before the roads were paved. The fixed gear drivetrain allows the trike to be ridden backwards, which can be handy for tight corners or parking. The practical maximum cargo weight for actual cycling is around 250kg. Please note that these trikes are rather large and heavy, thus only suitable for relatively flat terrain.
The Industrial Transport Trike comes in three different sizes; M, L and XL. The size Large trike is both shorter and narrower than the enormous "XL" so it can typically be ridden on a bike path and fits between traffic bollards. Aside from the dimensions the M, L and XL are technically identical.
Industrial Transport Trike Specification:
- super-strong transport wheels with gauge 8 spokes
- 26 x 2.5 inch transport tires
- fenders, front and rear
- single-speed fixed gearing with a 30-26 drivetrain
- large, hand operated rear drum brake / parking brake
- sealed bearings
- motorcycle strength chain and steel chain cover
- water resistant shuttering plywood box with stainless steel edge mounted on truck-type leaf springs
- steel and mahogany handlebar
- steering stabilizer, keeps box from swaying when parked
- vintage style saddle
Industrial Transport Trike Dimensions
- front to back of the medium trike with box 245 cm
- front to back of the large trike with box 275 cm
- front to back of the x-large trike with box 310 cm
- total width medium and large 108cm
- total width x-large 120cm
Industry Box Dimensions
These are the general dimensions of the box size. The measurements do not include the backplate where the handlebar is mounted.
- Size M: 120 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size L: 150 cm long x 75 cm wide x 30 cm high
- Size XL: 185 cm long x 85 cm wide x 20 cm high
If we are delivering internationally the Industry Trike will come partially disassembled, packed and boxed on a pallet. This makes shipping the trike easier and keeps the shipping price realistic. Reassembly is quite straightforward, we can help with your questions if necessary. We also have an online photo gallery which shows you where the parts go.
- The front axle is not mounted to the main body frame
- The front wheels are not mounted to the front axle
- The tires are mounted on front wheels
- The rear wheel and drivetrain is all mounted in the rear end of the main body frame
- The box is a complete object and does not come apart
- The handlebar is not mounted to the box
- The leaf springs are not mounted to the box or chassis
Some important things to note
- The Industry Trike can be shipped worldwide
- The Industry Trike cannot be converted to electric assist, however we do offer an electric assist version of the trike to specific countries within Europe
- The Industry Trike is not a stock item, they are built to order
- The Industry Trike is built by hand, so production time depends highly on our busy we are, please enquire for an estimate on the current production time